This Vegan cheese recipe proves that you can always find a totally vegan alternative to what you usually eat and that is absolutely not true that a cruelty-free diet means to give up everything.This morning, the first roses suddenly bloomed, just in front of the door of my new house: they have huge and soft yellow petals on a thin thorny stem. I have been always fascinated by the way the Nature silently evolves and the image of bloomed roses made me in a positive mood.
So, today the day has started in the best way and I took the opportunity to prepare vegan cottage cheese, a recipe that I have not made for a while, but I usually prepare only for private dinners. It is a soy milk based product, a simple and quick to prepare creamy and savory dish, and, above all, it is totally cruelty-free.
Soy milk should replace the cow’s one for a variety of reasons: not only for an ethical issue, but also for its good properties: for instance, it contains unsaturated fats, moreover it is cholesterol and gluten free. Soy milk is rich in vitamins A, B, E; it is perfect for those who suffer from lactose intolerance and you can turn into a lot of yummy recipes, including that of vegan ‘ricotta’ cheese.
Any desire can be possible, also in vegan food!
Prep 10 mins | Cook 10 mins | Total 20 mins | Serves 4
- 1 L natural soy milk
- 1 lemon
* It is important that the soy milk contains an exceeding 2% fat, so that the recipe can be prepared.
- In a saucepan, pour the milk, bring it to boil over medium. (Please note: it is not necessary to bring it to a total boiling, but it is essential that it smoking hot).
- Pour the hot milk into a glass bowl and add the lemon juice, then stir with a spoon and wait a few minutes: you will notice that the milk will start to curdle as it form cheese flakes. At this point, let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- After the necessary time has passed, put the mixture into a colander and let it drain, so as to separate the solid from the liquid part. (Please note: it is important that the liquid parte is removed as much as possible, so you can let it sit in the fridge for a few hours).
- Move the solid part into a basket or container that you prefer, distribute it evenly and then let it rest in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Finally, serve it.
- Before let the vegan cheese stand in the fridge, you can add some salt, a pinch of pepper or chives, to get a more intense flavor.
- Serve it with seasonal vegetables.
- You can replace the lemon with 3-4 tablespoons apple vinegar.