Cooking is like art. It is an union of colors, tastes and different smells. Cooking is like painting: you have to select carefully all the ingredients, textures and tones appearance, as in a portrait. If the choices are appropriate, the dish will be fixed in everybody’s mind and in the taste buds of those who try it.
During these days in London one perceives little summer. There are clouds, rain, thunder and lightning. On days like these I love cookin and listening to the sound of the rain hitting on the window of my kitchen.
Today, after have been working for hours on my computer, I went out for a walk to enjoy the typical smell of London (i.e. that of rain, dear me! ) and going missing myself among the shelves of “Whole Foods”, in Stoke Newington. Whole Foods is a supermarket chain, which you can find in different parts of London. It is specialized in selling organic and monitored products. Today I purchased courgettes, turmeric and curry for tonight’s dinner.
Curry is a mixed spice that I love and that can easily be prepared at home. It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and is mainly composed of turmeric. Turmeric has depurative and antioxidants properties, an intense color and it is unique in flavor. They are both well known spices in Eastern and Asiatic kitchen, they can be used in the preparation of many dishes but also for beauty care.
I’m going to prepare a batter based on curry and turmeric as breading for courgettes: a mix that you should definitely try
Ingredients for 5-6 people:
- 6 Courgettes
- 150 g Rice flour
- 1 Teaspoon curry powder
- 1 Teaspoon turmeric powder (as I said it is contained in curry, but I add it to get a stronger flavor)
- 200ml Beer or sparkling water
- A pinch of salt
- Vegetable oil
- Wash and cut the courgettes in sticks;
- In a bowl, mix some flour with curry and turmeric powder;
- Add some beer or sparkling water (it must be very cold) and quickly mix until it forms a smooth mixture;
- Dip the courgette sticks into the batter and wrap them totally;
- Heat in a pot some seeds oil; when it is quite hot, fry the courgette little by litte until they become golden brown;
- Leave them for few minutes on a tray covered with absorbing paper towels and then serve them hot.
- If you want you can combine these sticks with a sweet and sour sauce. Enjoy them!