Switching From Meat-eater to Vegan
Many people are raised by society to enjoy animal-based products. Whether it is cheese, beef, chicken, or eggs, we as a society eat a lot of it. However, for those who want to go from meat-eater to vegan, how do they go about in doing so?
Many people don’t have a wide knowledge of nutrition, and many simply eliminate animal products without replacing them, leaving them nutrient deficient. When you take meat out of your diet, you need to replace it with a higher protein plant-based alternative. Read More
Chocolate mousse (only two ingredients)
Did you ever happen to enter in a store to buy groceries and can’t resist to the tempting power of chocolate? I try many times to run away, but then unexplainably I find myself in front of shelves and despite I repeat myself “Not this time, I’ll be stronger than you”, in a flash, I am at the check-out with a nasty smell and the desire to devour it.
How many qualities, how many benefits and how much power is hidden in a small brown barrel of chocolate, which is able to captivate your taste buds and your mind? It may seem an exaggeration, but scientific studies have shown that a piece of chocolate that is melting in your mouth is much more exciting than a passionate kiss: the heart speeds up, the brain receives intense stimulation and the body is invaded by a gentle sensation of pleasure. Of course, as I have already said in the past, you should prefer the dark chocolate to enjoy all the properties of this product.
Instead, among my favorite vegan chocolate brand there is Vegò, which is an organic, gluten fre and full of nuts chocolate: it is really tasty!
Chocolate is a very versatile ingredient too, and can have many textures. Today, I really wanted something fluffy and soft: a tasty mousse, made with only two ingredients, do you believe it?
The recipe for 4-5 people:
- 200 g chocolate (preferably 70%);
- 250 ml room temperature water (+ just enough water);
- Just enough ice.
- Roughly chop chocolate. (You can also chop it with your hands);
- In a pot put the chocolate and melt it with bain-marie method;
- As soon as the chocolate has completely melted, remove from the heat;
- Add 250 ml of water all at once and mix quickly with a whisk (not electric);
- Take a clean bowl and fill it with 2/4 water and ice cubes
- Pour the chocolate in another smaller bowl;
- Put the bowl with the chocolate in the bowl with the ice;
- Whip the mixture with an electric whisk, until it reaches the consistency of a mousse;
- Let it rest in the fridge at least for one hour.
- The mixture won’t whip right away, so don’t panic if nothing happens at first. After a few minutes it will certainly start to turn into mousse;
- As soon as you have reached the desired consistency, turn off the whisks. If you whip the mixture too much, you risk to turn the chocolate into butter and ruin the texture and flavor!
- If you can wait and you don’t have to eat the mousse, I advise you to leave it in the fridge as long as possible. I have eaten both after a couple of hours, that the next morning: the day after was much more good!
Vegan cannelloni | Cruelty free Recipe
Special quite days and occasions need to be filled with goodness to be really special.
In Southern Italy still exists a particular culinary tradition, where is still possible to taste authentic genuine food, as it once was. Yet, Southern Italy regional food and tradition are considered, by non- Italian cultures, as a complicated, but genuine, combination of ingredients. “Add a seat at the table, if there is one more friend” is the perfect motto to describe what normally happens at Italian tables.
Sunday lunch, birthdays, Christmas and any other holidays: you spend them laughing and eating around a table full of delicacies. It’s a real challenge against someone’s limits but unusually there’s always a free part in every stomach to accept a little more food.
It may seems strange, even crazy, but during these days the atmosphere is really special, so you have to grow up in such Italian families to really understand what it means. When you grow up adults and you move from your native place, of course, you lose such habit. (in fact, when you go back home to you relatives it sounds ironically traumatic).
Yet, despite the distance, I still have the habit to cook for all my family, especially during special days, and enjoy food made with love.
Unfortunately, there are some dishes cannot be enjoyed every day. Today is an important day for me: I am going to bake cannelloni stuffed with tofu, basil, spinach and nuts and covered with sauce and all my love.
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 12 Cannelloni;
- 1 kg fresh spinach;
- 350 Tofu
- 50 g cashew nuts;
- 100 pine nuts;
- Just enough basil;
- Organic oil;
- A pinch of salt.
Ingredients for the sauce:
- 1/2 golden onion;
- Garlic cloves;
- 500g tomato sauce;
- Organic oil;
- Just enough salt;
- Some basil;
- Fennel seeds;
- Half lemon juice.
- Clean spinach and eliminate stems. Wash and rinse.
- Cut tofu and let it marinate with salt, olive oil, lemon and chopped basil for 30 minutes.
- Mash spinach, marinated tofu, cashew nuts and pine nuts
- Add to the mixture all the ingredients and stir them well
- Leave the mixture in the fridge for about 20 minutes
For the sauce:
- Put a pan over the heat with a little olive oil:
- Mince onion. Peel a clove of garlic.
- Add onion and garlic in a frying pan, wait until it becomes browner;
- Add tomato sauce, salt, pepper, fennel seeds and a few basil leaves.
- Cook for about 20 minutes
- Stir often with a wooden spoon to prevent sticking on the bottom;
- Eliminate garlic cloves.
For the cannelloni:
- Cover the base of a roasting pan with the sauce.
- Add the filling for cannelloni, using a piping bag.
- Cover the surface of the cannelloni with the sauce.
- Cover the pan with an aluminum foil and bake at 180° for 30 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the foil to sear the surface of cannelloni.
- Serve hot.
Apulia (Italy) Sunset..