Easy Vegan Pad Thai
One of the great powers of cooking is to give people the opportunity to discover different cultures and languages through food. I love finding out different flavours, comparing the tastes of our traditions with those of the other, using new spices every day and, above all, trying to imitate special dishes. For example, I love Thai food, since it offers various vegan options and I often enjoy it in many restaurants in London.
Since many years, I have been celebrating my birthday at Thai restaurant. To celebrate these special occasions, I went at “Coach and Horses” in Stoke Newington, which offers a wonderful atmosphere in the light of candles and a great menu with vegan options.
Today’s recipe is Pad Thai: a very common dish in Thailand with rice or noodles sautéed with eggs, fish, but also with vegetables or tofu. Obviously, I will prepare the vegan version that is also incredibly delicious! Read More
Cooking is like art. It is an union of colors, tastes and different smells. Cooking is like painting: you have to select carefully all the ingredients, textures and tones appearance, as in a portrait. If the choices are appropriate, the dish will be fixed in everybody’s mind and in the taste buds of those who try it.
During these days in London one perceives little summer. There are clouds, rain, thunder and lightning. On days like these I love cookin and listening to the sound of the rain hitting on the window of my kitchen.
Today, after have been working for hours on my computer, I went out for a walk to enjoy the typical smell of London (i.e. that of rain, dear me! ) and going missing myself among the shelves of “Whole Foods”, in Stoke Newington. Whole Foods is a supermarket chain, which you can find in different parts of London. It is specialized in selling organic and monitored products. Today I purchased courgettes, turmeric and curry for tonight’s dinner.
Curry is a mixed spice that I love and that can easily be prepared at home. It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and is mainly composed of turmeric. Turmeric has depurative and antioxidants properties, an intense color and it is unique in flavor. They are both well known spices in Eastern and Asiatic kitchen, they can be used in the preparation of many dishes but also for beauty care.
I’m going to prepare a batter based on curry and turmeric as breading for courgettes: a mix that you should definitely try
Ingredients for 5-6 people:
- 6 Courgettes
- 150 g Rice flour
- 1 Teaspoon curry powder
- 1 Teaspoon turmeric powder (as I said it is contained in curry, but I add it to get a stronger flavor)
- 200ml Beer or sparkling water
- A pinch of salt
- Vegetable oil
- Wash and cut the courgettes in sticks;
- In a bowl, mix some flour with curry and turmeric powder;
- Add some beer or sparkling water (it must be very cold) and quickly mix until it forms a smooth mixture;
- Dip the courgette sticks into the batter and wrap them totally;
- Heat in a pot some seeds oil; when it is quite hot, fry the courgette little by litte until they become golden brown;
- Leave them for few minutes on a tray covered with absorbing paper towels and then serve them hot.
- If you want you can combine these sticks with a sweet and sour sauce. Enjoy them!
Delicious Orange Cream |Vegan Recipe
The alarm clock rings at seven, as usual and I am having breakfast with orange juice, coffee and some biscuits. Suddenly I give a fleeting glance out my window while pampering my sweetie cat, Noir.
It’s a nice day, one of those that makes you wish were somewhere else, among the sea, the mountains, and the Nature. I am very busy in these days, full of news and expectations. The Sun fills my soul with emotions while I am walking to Dalston, a buzzing green area, a heart that beats. It is not a holiday attraction therefore I suggest you to spend some free time in this location.
Here, there is an open-air fruit and vegetables market that I really love. It is located right next to the small Poundland and Kingslandstation in Dalston. Products are daily cheaply sold among people who are speaking loudly, singing and smiling. I completely recharge myself with good vibes & positive energy.
I will to buy the required ingredients for this kind of dessert that I am going to prepare: orange cream, covered with toasted hazelnuts and fresh fruits. A mix of flavours that will bring you the zest of Summer flavours in your taste buds!
Ingredients for 2-3 people:
- 230 ml freshly squeezed orange juice;
- 10 g potato starch;
- 50 g raw cane sugar;
- 5 g liquid bio vanilla;
- Some strawberries;
- Toasted and finely minced hazelnuts.
- Pour into a sauce pan (fire must be off) sugar and potato starch. Stir and mix well all;
- Place the sauce pan over a medium heat, then pour orange juice. Don’t stop stirring to avoid lumps;
- Add vanilla and simmer until cream has thickened;
- Cover it with plastic wrap and let it cool;
- Stuff cream with toasted hazelnuts and strawberries.
- This cream is excellent for filling cakes and pies;
- You can use maple or agave syrup instead of sugar;
- It is a great snack for children and even adults, a healthy dessert, they are simple enough for anyone to make!