The warm season is almost here so the time has come to turn to particularly refreshing and simple recipes, such as the Ice cream sandwich cookies, are the tastiest Summer and spring recipes, especially in this case, because we are talking about completely raw cookies, therefore perfect for hot days, and prepared with healthy ingredients such as peanut butter (with powerful anti-oxidant qualities and rich in vitamin B3, Read More
Tztatziki Sauce | Vegan recipe
Yogurt, cucumbers, garlic, lemon and mint. What’s better on a hot day like this? A few ingredients for a simple fresh and quick sauce typical of Greek tradition: the tztatziki.
I often prepare this recipe, especially during the summer. It is very versatile and I love to combine it with falafel, to use it as a dressing for salads or just to enjoy on a slice of bread or spread on a pita.
This sauce is perfect as an appetizer or a snack. Its vegan version is much more appreciated and it keeps the same creamy texture and taste than the original. Moreover, between the basic ingredients of tztatziki sauce, there are cucumbers, as everyone knows, vegetables rich in beneficial properties. In fact, the cucumber is one of the plants with the highest content of water, rich in vitamins and minerals, useful for skin hydration and detoxification.
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 500 g natural soy yogurt;
- 4 cucumbers;
- 2 garlic cloves;
- Lemon juice;
- Just enough salt;
- 2 tablespoon mint leaves;
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil.
- Shave and grate the cucumbers with a large hole grater and put the pulp into a colander, pressing it down with a spoon, to eliminate water. (I prefer to set aside some chunks of diced cucumbers and leave them whole in the sauce);
- Finely chop garlic and add it to the yogurt, along with some lemon juice, salt and olive oil;
- Add to the mixture the cucumbers and finely chopped mint leaves;
- Serve cold.
If you don’t appreciate the strong garlic flavour, you can halve the cloves, leave them to rest for half an hour in the yogurt and then remove them from it.