Stuffed Cabbage – Vegan Recipes
Today, I prepare savoy cabbage stuffed with barley, potatoes, onions and carrots, a cooking method that can surprise even those who don’ t particularly like this type of cabbage.
Cabbage is a delicious food. In fact, among its properties it lowers the pressure because its high potassium content, it reduces the risk of allergies, it is rich in fibres, and it facilitates, therefore, digestion. It is even good for eyesight and its cooking water can cure skin imperfections.
Let’s enjoy this delicacy!
Ingredients for 2 people:
- 4 leaves of savoy cabbage
- 200 g pearl barley
- 1 potato
- 1 carrot
- ½ golden onion
- 1,5 l vegetable broth
- A pinch of salt
- Just enough organic extra virgin olive oil
- Some fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 200 g tomato puree
- Prepare a warm vegetable broth and, as it is on the heat, cut onions, onion, potato and carrot.
- In a frying pan heats up an oil and slightly sauté fresh cut vegetables until they golden.
- Add pearl barley and toast it for a few minutes. Then, start pouring some hot vegetable broth little by little adding it every time barley dries or until it has softened. (Attention: Barley should be quite dense.)
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat a table spoon oil and sauté some garlic, then add some tomato puree, fresh basil, salt to taste and bake for about 20 minutes in a medium heated oven, turning it sometimes.
- Take away 4 soft leaves from the savoy cabbage. With the help of a knife, remove the central and the final part of the leaves, which is quite tough.
- Boil salted water, then parboil the leaves for a few seconds or until they look slightly softened.
- Fill each leaves with about two or three tablespoons of pearl barley, then roll over them with your hands.
- Cover the surface of a baking tray with some tomato puree, place savoy cabbage rolls in, add some more tomato puree, then cook in a preheated oven at 180 ° for about 20 minutes.
- Serve them hot.
- Handle savoy cabbage leaves gently to avoid breaking them.