Cacio e pepe or “cheese and pepper” is a Roman classic an easy pasta sauce, and the vegan version is very tasty and particularly easy to prepare, one of those recipes perfect for any occasion and able to create a simple atmosphere, yet special on the table. In addition to its simplicity, this dish is also characterized by the lightness, delicate flavour and authenticity of its ingredients. The grated vegan cheese used, in fact, is based on cashews, which helps to combat heart problems and are able to fight cholesterol, thanks to the presence of monounsaturated fats, such as oleic acid and pepper, which gives a pleasant spicy aftertaste to the recipe, has digestive properties and has the ability to improve the mood, for the presence of piperine, a substance with antidepressant properties and able to strengthen the functioning of the brain.
Want to dig into a plate of vegan pasta tonight? Keep reading to get the recipe.
Prep 10 mins | Cook 10 mins | Total 20 mins | Portion 2-3
For the grated vegan cheese
- 75 g of Cashew nuts
- 30 g of edible flaked yeast
- 5 g of Garlic powder
- 1 pinch of salt
For the pasta
- 200 g of Spaghetti
- 30 ml of Evo Oil
- 5-7 g of ground pepper
- Salt as needed.
- Put the cashews, yeast, garlic and salt in a kitchen blender, then blend until the ingredients are reduced to a paste and a floury mixture is obtained.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta and drain it, putting aside a spoon of cooking water.
- Season the pasta with pepper, oil, grated cheese and a spoon of cooking water, while stirring to make the sauce creamy.
- Sprinkle the surface with more cheese and pepper, and then serve.