Any Friday is the beginnig of a new weekend and you need of course to enjoy it with a perfect vegan recipe, like that of gluten free gnocchi with pistachio pesto that I will eat tonight. My day starts in the best way, listening to the song “Friday I’m in Love” by The Cure and, while I am getting lost in the wonderful voice of Robert Smith, I let myself be inspired in the kitchen. So, with some music in the background, I prepared this irresistible dish that combines my beloved potatoes with the delicate flavor of pistachio nuts, an ingredient that I don’t very often use but that I really love.
In fact, pistachios are rich in beneficial properties and their mean feature is the presence of lutein and zeaxanthin. These substances could contrast eyesight problems, mainly related to eye degeneration in old age. Moreover, some studies claim that this food is able to balance blood pressure and alleviate from stress. Then, it is perfect to relax from a stressful weekly routine.
In short, among the fluffy gnocchi and the creamy dressing, we are waiting for the weekend in the most pleasant way as possible and falling in love as The Cure say in their song!
Prep 20 mins | Cook 10 mins | Total 30 mins | Serves 4-5
For the dumplings:
- 1 kg potatoes
- 130 g rice flour + some more to dust the surface
- Some salt
- A pinch of pepper powder
For the pistachio pesto:
- 90 g toasted pistachios
- 45 g toasted almonds
- Some fresh basil leaves
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon
- 180 ml extra virgin olive oil
- A pinch of salt
- Boil unpeeled potatoes for about 30 minutes (or until they are tender), then peel and mash them with a potato masher. Put them on a lightly floured pastry board and leave them to cool.
- Add a pinch of pepper powder, salt to taste and pour the flour little by little, starting to knead until it forms a compact dough.
- On a floured surface, roll out a small piece of dough to get a thick as a finger long tube.
- Split the tube into many small chunks of the lenght you prefer and with the help of a fork press each pieces to give the shape of traditional gnocchi.
- Repeat the process until you finish the dough.
- Cook the gnocchi in a pot of lightly salted boiling water for 2-3 minutes or until they return the surface.
- Meanwhile prepare the pistachio pesto, putting pistachios and almonds in a kitchen mixer, then blend them up to reduce to a pulp.
- Add lemon juice, basil leaves, chopped garlic cloves and salt to taste.
- Pour oil little by little and blend until you get a creamy dense and homogeneous mixture. (Please note: if it is not creamy enough add more oil or otherwise more pistachios).
- Drain well the gnocchi with a skimmer and combine them with some pistachio pesto.
- Serve with a sprinkling of vegan parmesan cheese.
- Add crumbled pistachios on the surface.