A birthday party is not such if it is not accompanied by a delicious cake and the secret to prepare a perfect one is surely to prepare a simple soft, and above all, genuine sponge cake. Some weeks ago was my birthday and one of the things I love doing most is making a cake. Cooking for me is always a wonderful experience but, in a specific day like this, I find it even more satisfying because I can concentrate all my emotions in what I do. Above all, the idea that the people I love will perceive how happy I am in this special day makes me particularly in a good mood.
Sometimes showing own feelings is very hard, so we take shelter in our passions and we try to bring out what we feel through our art and abilities. As far as I’m concerned, I let myself go with the preparation of vegan recipes. This sponge cake is very easy to prepare. It is composed of particularly healthy and light elements and it is perfect as a base for the preparation of several sweet delicacies, for special occasions or simply to satisfy our desire for tastiness. The scent of the sponge cake spreading at home, during a celebration day, is perhaps one of the most pleasant things that can exist which has made my day just perfect.
In any case, every day can turn into a party, if we live it with the simplicity of vegan food!
Prep 15 mins | Cook 30 mins | Total 45 mins | Portion 6-8
- 180 g spelt flour
- 60 g potato starch
- 150 ml plant-based milk
- 120 g coconut sugar
- 120 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small bag baking powder (a mixture of creme of tartar and baking soda)
- A pinch of salt
- In a bowl, combine the sugar with oil and mix all well with a whisk until the mixture is creamy.
- At this point, combine the starch, the spelt flour, salt and baking powder and mix. Pour milk little by little, continue working the dough with the whisk, until you get a thick homogeneous mixture. Try to avoid lumps. (Please note: try to sift all the dry ingredients to get a better result).
- Pour the mixture into a well-oiled baking tray or covered with baking paper and bake it in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the surface is golden brown.
- Test if the sponge cake is ready with a toothpick, put out from the oven, then serve it.
- Cover the sponge cake with a clean and slightly moist cloth and let it cool, so that the surface does not harden.
- Stuff with vegan cream or custard, jam or chocolate.