Thanks to my friend Alicia Fox for this delicious recipe 🙂
Chocolate mud cake
· 1 ¾ cups plain flour
· 2 cups sugar
· ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
· 2 teaspoons bi-carb soda
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1 cup of non-dairy milk of choice (I make my own oat milk)
· 2 tablespoons chia seeds
· 6 tablespoons of warm water
· ½ cup coconut oil
· 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
· 1 cup of black coffee
Chocolate ganache icing
· Block of dark chocolate (non-dairy)
· Icing sugar
· Coconut cream
· Non-dairy milk of choice
1. Preheat oven to 180º C. Prepare cake pan or cupcake patties.
2. In a large bowl sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and then add sugar and salt. Whisk through to combine.
3. Combine chia seeds and warm water in small dish and leave for 2-3 minutes. Prepare coffee and set aside.
4. In another bowl, combine milk, oil, and vanilla then add chia seeds. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add coffee mix to the cake batter. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute to add air to the batter.
5. Pour into pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Or if making cupcakes 25-30 minutes. Times may vary depending on your oven.
6. For icing, heat chocolate in a double boiler (aka a clean, dry pot over another pot of simmering water) until melted. Add sugar, then add cream. If it gets clumpy add milk until desired consistency. I don’t really use measurements, just whatever tastes good 🙂
7. Share with loved ones.